INTRODUCTION TO OIL PAINTING
Oil Paint is an amazingly beautiful medium and I am going to simplify all that complicated lingo about oil painting and teach you how to avoid using solvents so that you can paint safely and experience the immense pleasure of painting with oils.
DAYTIME CLASS Wednesdays 10 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Sept 5 - Sept 26 2018
12 hours of instruction
$160 + HST - all supplies included
Please note - Minimum number of students required to run this class, if this enrolment is not reached you will receive a full refund.
*please contact me if you can not take this class as scheduled and are interested in either daytime classes or evening classes. I am sometimes able to add a class if there is enough interest, or I will make sure to consider preferences for the next scheduling of classes.
- what is oil paint, what is medium, what brushes and materials do you need to create an oil painting
- how to paint with oils safely
- how to mix accurate oil paint colours
- understanding greyscale and tonal values and their importance in painting
- how to paint alla prima
You will create:
- a realistic painting of a greyscale and a colour version of a fruit or vegetable.
- if time permits (different people work at different speeds) - you then work on your own piece using the techniques you have learned
***ABOUT TOXICITY - If you are hesitant about trying oils due to what you have heard about toxicity issues, please know that I teach a way to paint that hardly ever uses solvents - and if any are necessary we use the tiniest amount and the safest solvent available - GAMSOL. The oil paint itself is not the issue (unless you are eating cadmium paints ...), it is turpentine and mineral spirits that are often used as solvents which cause health issues, strong odors and terrible headaches. Those are dangerous but I do not use them in my studio. I have done everything to reduce any risk of sensitivity or reaction, but if anyone enrols and finds they are having an issue with oils during the first class due to a sensitivity I will refund you in full.